Tuesday 19 June 2012

Out of Advertising


I think it’s fair to say that I’ve never been a fan of authority; the smugness of ‘the man’ as he tells you what you have to do, not to get fired/kicked out/arrested. And as I stepped out of full-time work in one of London's best advertising agencies, that feeling of freedom was surprisingly the last thing to hit. 

I did it because I wanted to work on my own stuff and was sick of the clients that battered your ideas down so far that they became unrecognisable and embarrassing to call your own. I did it because I worked out that maybe advertising was a load of bullshit that people did to make money instead of good work. I think the latter comment is actually unfair on some parts and that many agencies try to beat the client but time and time again, there are only a handful that succeed. It’s clear then where their loyalties lie. 

Raw creativity rarely gets seen and that’s why I felt it was time to follow my heart and turn my head to writing my own stuff. Two novels down the line and a film almost finished, the plan is to work as long and as hard as possible this summer to make just one of them a success. The dream was always to write and if I can do that on my own, writing what I want, for people that appreciate it, I'll never care about waking up. 

No comments:

Post a Comment