Monday 25 June 2012

Stargazing in Hackney



This weekend marked the end of day festival season with the much-anticipated Hackney Weekend. Although I hadn’t actually looked at the line-up since I booked and wasn’t particularly fussed who was playing, due to it costing just £2.50, I was pleasantly surprised. We arrived early so as not to miss Bombay Bicycle Club, who were first up on the ‘In New Music We Trust’ stage. They were awesome and I was even more pleased, as I missed out on seeing them in April when they clashed with a friend’s 30th. Following them were Santigold, who wore amazing costumes and even brought a pantomime horse to the stage. Enough said.

Ben Howard was dreamy, Florence and the Machine was, as usual, incredible and Rihanna’s headline act was out of this world. When Jay-Z joined her on stage, the crowd – who were already giddy with RiRi love – seemed to reach another level of energy; more than I think I’ve ever experienced at a gig of that size. We weren’t even close to the front.

The only disappointment was the ‘Special Guest’, who was left unannounced for so long that we assumed it would be a bit better than Dizzee Rascal. He played his latest track that seemed to be about not doing drugs; funny in an audience of pilled-up sixteen year olds. 

All in all though, a really well thought out and well laid out festival. The toilets were the best I’d ever experienced – apart from the queues – and the bar was never too busy. I think Radio 1 did a pretty good job. Let’s just hope they come back next year, when the hype of East London will have been and gone. Fingers crossed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment