Monday 18 June 2012

An Olympic Alternative?



OK, so it’s not often that we get to host the Olympics but is it really necessary to jump on every bandwagon it brings with it? Brands are doing it everywhere, from Weetabix changing their packaging to ‘Fuel Britannia’ and The National Lottery copying an age-old Hovis ad to the British flag popping up at every opportunity. There was even a TV spot last night that advertised the ‘Official Cereal Bar of the Olympics’.  What else will become ‘Official’? Toilet paper? Ironing Boards? High-Vis Jackets?

What might be more interesting is to watch is the backlash. I didn't win any tickets (although didn't apply for many) and although I’m interested to see what the games will bring in terms of culture and tourism, I live in East London and am slightly more concerned about how I’m going to get anywhere.

So who’s going to engage with us that way? 90% of the Londoners I’ve spoken to are hoping to escape the city for those two weeks, which must create a huge opportunity for the brands involved. Or should I say, those not involved? What if they gave us an alternative; a way to step back from the overly patriotic standard that’s been set since the Royal Wedding? An opportunity to take a breather from London life, that is persistent in its determination to ware out its dwellers. I, for one, would welcome it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment